Greene's Falls and Rainforest Circuit

Location: D'Aguilar National Park, South East QLD
Date: 29th March, 2014
Distance: 5 km
Time: 1 h 45 min

View from Jolly's Lookout 

Saturday morning is normally prime time for Brisbane's cyclists to choke Mount Nebo Road, but they were mysteriously absent this morning as I made my way towards Mount Glorious. Possibly a week of miserable weather and mist rolling through the mountains this morning deterred them. Whatever the reason, at 8am the road was mine!

Whatever was keeping people off the roads also kept them off the tracks, as I didn't see anyone else on what is generally a busy bushwalk. Fortunately for me, this meant lots of pademelons were out and about. I saw so many of them it seemed like there was one at every turn.



I was keen to see how the falls were after so much rain - given that two weeks ago when I came there was barely a trickle of water - so I braved the slippery slope past the fence to reach the bottom of Greene's Falls.



Coming into contact with a wait-a-whlie-vine is an awkward situation at best (i.e. when you're on a graded path with at least 2 other people available to help disentangle your mangled limbs from the merciless weed), and becomes significantly less desirable when you are alone and crawling your way up a steep and slippery slope with knees that dislike crouching for more than a few moments. Unfortunately that accurately describes my return trip back to the track, and probably added half an hour to my walk.

I also encountered leeches for the first time in D'Aguilar NP. They must have exhausted all my ankle and leg binding sites because I found them flopping around elsewhere on me too.

First leech at Mount Glorious... there were many more

Overall the scenery was amazing after the rain, and without anyone else around, I essentially had the best rainforest within an hour of Brisbane to myself for the morning.



Gnarled roots on the Rainforest Circuit
Trickle on the Rainforest Circuit

No comments:

Post a Comment