Albert River Circuit (Take 1)

Location: Lamington National Park, South East QLD
Date: 28th February, 2015
Distance: ~18 km
Time: 5.5 hours

Border Track sign at the junction with Albert River Circuit

Last time dad and I completed this circuit as part of our overnight trip to Rat-a-tat hut. This time I was unencumbered by a heavy pack, and, following heavy rain last weekend, expected some awesome displays from the numerous waterfalls along the way.

From the first turnoff at the Border Track, the circuit path leads uphill for a few minutes to the crest of the plateau, an area dominated by temperate rainforest and ancient antarctic beech trees.



In taking the first junction and doing the circuit anti-clockwise, I hoped to avoid the long winding uphill slog that intimidated us last time. Instead of a tiring slog, I was treated to colourful displays of fungi while I hurdled some overflowing creeks that were muddying up the track in the recent wet.

Fungus growing on an antarctic beech trunk

As I passed some supposedly 'minor' falls cascading down Lightning Creek, I suspected that I was going to be in for some incredible waterfall displays once I hit Albert River.



Not far from the first creek crossing I passed a sad-looking group of oldies heading the other direction. They warned me that the water levels were too high and they had to turn around. 10 minutes later, I hit the first crossing at Lightning Creek and saw what they were on about.

The water level wasn't dangerously high, but the creek was rushing through very quickly and the rocks looked pretty slippery to me... and deeper crossings still lay further ahead.

Below is a comparison of the recent creek crossing (left) compared to last time I was here, in April last year (right).


Another comparison from a different section of Lightning Creek:


I decided to return the way I came, having missed the majority of the waterfalls and lookouts that make Albert River Circuit such a great walk. To seal the deal, the skies decided to dump a heavy shower on me. I did manage to catch one waterfall-like cascade on the return, apparently strengthened by the downpour last week:

Jimbolongerri Cascades

Eventually the rain stopped, but not before I was attacked by swarms of leeches. In recompense, I wandered back to the car park through some beautiful mist.


Perhaps the highlight of this walk was the numerous and varied types of fungi I spotted along the way.












I will have to make it back for take 2 once the creek levels recede a bit, although I'm sure the waterfalls won't be quite as impressive. How cruel is it that the best time to do these walks, you can't?

No comments:

Post a Comment