Lower Ballunjui Falls


Last weekend the south east was beset by miserable, cloudy, drizzly weather - in short, perfect conditions for visiting Lamington National Park.

I usually see Lower Ballunjui Falls as a side-trip from the longer Ships Stern Circuit, but I really only had a few hours of walking I could squeeze in this morning - even starting not long after sunrise. So a short walk it was.



In all my previous times walking in this section of the park the weather has been fine, so it was nice to see everything from a new, slightly soggy perspective.

Heavy clouds smother Egg Rock and Turtle Rock, from Koolanbilba Lookout

Not much to see at Yangahla Lookout


Getting an early start meant I was first on the track, so I was able enjoy the beautiful Nixon Creek area free of other people. Considering I passed well over 50 (!!) people on my walk back up to Binna Burra, it was definitely very timely.

The many tiers of Ballunjui Falls



Some of the cloud cover started to lift as I headed back up, giving me the chance to enjoy views at the lookouts this time.

Yangahla Lookout up ahead

The cliffs of Ships Stern Range from Yangahla Lookout

Yangahla panorama

Egg Rock and Turtle Rock clearly defined from Koolanbilba Lookout

Before heading back to the car, I made a short detour to Bellbird Lookout. The lookout was completely obscured by cloud, but to make up for for the awful views the rainforest delivered some wildlife.

Pademelon just off track, near Bellbird Lookout

No comments:

Post a Comment