Mount Mitchell Sunset


To compliment my hugely enjoyable Mount Cordeaux sunset walk from last year, I brought Emily along to see sunset from Mount Mitchell - the peak just across the highway.

Unfortunately, we underestimated how long it would take so the sun set while we were still on the way up... but this just meant we got to sit up on top in the dark, have dinner and do some stargazing.

Other than the time of day, there were a few things different about this walk compared to the last couple of times I've walked it. Firstly, I saw no snakes. I always see snakes here (but then, I have always hiked here in the morning). Second, we heard (and briefly saw!) an Albert's Lyrebird. Thirdly, the weedy situation has worsened considerably in recent times, particularly in areas affected by landslides and near to the summit. Next time we will definitely be wearing gaiters.

Cordeaux from Mitchell


Who's ready for adventure?


The sun set while we were contouring around the west peak

Looking south along the Main Range past Spicer's Peak

Looking north along the Main Range

A furry friend joined us for dinner on top

No comments:

Post a Comment