Mount Cordeaux Sunset

Giant spear lily and Mount Cordeaux

In October I visited Mount Cordeaux at Main Range National Park for the express purpose of seeing the giant spear lilies in flower. Last year I went in September, but was just a little too early to see them in full bloom. I wasn't disappointed this time around.

The southern slopes of Mount Cordeaux is one of the nicest and most accessible rainforested regions in the south east - provided you can ignore the heavy traffic thundering down the Cunningham highway. It's popular with other walkers during the middle of the day, but at other times it's a great place to spot wildlife. I can't remember the last time I came here and didn't see at least half a dozen pademelons hopping around.


Murray's skink

I timed my walk to coincide with sunset, and once I hit the summit track I didn't see any other hikers.

Mount Mitchell across Cunningham's Gap

Once I was up on top, I spent an hour or so wandering around taking photos and enjoying the solitude and the views. Giant spear lilies were just about everywhere and very impressive in the late afternoon light.




A favourite spot of mine is just past the Mount Cordeaux summit along the ridgeline on the way to Bare Rock. Plenty more flowering lilies here today.



 
Yellow bulbine lily... not to be outdone

Ants love giant spear lily flowers too


Sunset over the range

An unexpected bonus was encountering fireflies on my way back down after dark. At first I thought I was seeing things, but eventually the little floating lights surrounded me on the track, until there must have been thousands of them. It was magical! Apparently this was well-timed too, as I later discovered they are only active just after sunset at this time of the year.

I wonder how many people drive through Cunningham's Gap unaware of what they are missing out on?

1 comment:

  1. Hi I really like your posts. I have done some of your walks (including this one) and really enjoy reading them. Are you on Instagram?

    Thanks matt.b

    ReplyDelete